Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Monteferro y Monte cepudo

Last Sunday when I got home from Portugal a couple friends invited me to tag along on a drive to the "Monte".  I'm still getting to know Vigo and it's surroundings but thought this sounds exciting! We piled in the car and had an awesome afternoon of spectacular views and great conversation.  

Our first stop was at the beach! You can see the famous Islas Cies in the distance.  Apparently Las Islas Cies were voted in the top 5 beaches in the world.  
Siobhan in front of the view from the top of Monteferro.  

Monteferro - This is a monument that is in honor of seamen.  

Rough Translation: This monument was raised by the universal navy so that all navigators can see the emotion that Spain salutes to all of you.  So that this granite perpetually emanates feelings of love to comfort the solitary travelers of the splendid atlantic plain.  
Rough Translation: Inaugerating this monument on July 28, 1924, reining Don Alfonso XIII; the president of the directorio, Don Miguel Primo de Rivera; with assistance from the general Don Severiano Matinez Anido; primary protector and the cooperation of the generals Don Luis Bermudez de Castro, Minister of the Guard, and Don Angel R. Del Barrio, Military Governor of Vigo.  Blessed by Don Manuel Vidal Boullon.  

Rough Translation: A dedication for the navigators that in the fight for existence fell at sea with their grave.  For those that have kept fighting for the honor of their country or for the ideals of so many tragedies in the end found their grave in the Atlantic.   

Siobhan and I with the Islas in the background.  
A windy day, but still gorgeous views.


Navigation tower that helps all the boats at sea.  

Vigo in the distance
Las Islas Cies.
Waves crashing on the rocks.  
The sun was poking through the clouds.  

Monte cepudo - A lookout above the city of Vigo


With the city in the background- VIGO!

Another view of Las Islas Cies, and the Atlantic Ocean behind them.  

Breathtaking views. 

Across the Ria (Inlet) is the city where I teach! 





And the mountains in the distance.  

More mountains




Two posts in one day - Looks like I'm starting to finally be on top of things! I hope you are enjoying all my pictures and experiences that I am sharing with you.  I love looking at my blog and seeing that I have had 1500 views already! =) Makes me feel loved!










No comments:

Post a Comment