Saturday, September 29, 2012

Week 1

Wowza.  I can't believe that it has only been a week guys.  It seems like I've been in Vigo for much longer.  I figured that now would be the time to look back on the week and fill you in on all the busy things that happened with apartment hunting, bank accounts, NIE cards, and adventures in general.

First off. I know you are all waiting to see my apartment.  I have a video made, but I am still working out some technical difficulties with uploading it onto my website.  I will keep working and post ASAP. =) Secondly, I think that apartment hunting in Spain has been a great experience for me.  Not in the fact that I was completely overwhelmed, and stressed about where I was going to live.  But in the fact that I got to practice so much spanish in the process that I can honestly say I have improved immensely just since I have arrived.  I moved into my apartment on Wednesday.  Did some shopping Thursday at the mall.  And then Friday, was a busy day...

Friday I woke up SUPER early at 7:30.  Now you may be thinking that isn't early at all.  Well to put it into perspective, when I woke up and stepped out onto my balcony to see what the weather was like, there were still people hanging around outside a bar down the street from the night before.  So yes. 7:30 am it is still dark and people are still enjoying their nightly festivities.

Anyways, I met another Auxiliar, Harris and we walked to the Comisaria (Police Station), to get my NIE card squared away.  Basically my visa is only good for 90 days.  And since I will probably be doing some traveling and going in and out of the country, I need to have a NIE (foreign resident card) card in order to re-enter Spain after those 90 days.  So we got there before the police station opened, waited in line, {I was number 009}, and finally got that whole thing taken care of.

Afterwards I figured I would head to the bank to get a bank account since i know had my NIE number.  Trouble is that they couldn't give me the actual ID card since that would take 45 days to get, so instead they gave me a slip of paper with my number on it and said this would work instead until then.  Well it didn't.  I had to go to three different banks, who all told me I had to have the actual ID card to open a bank account.  Finally at the last bank, NovaGalicia, I was able to get an account open by just using my passport with no extra fees.  (Whew)

All in all I feel like I had a pretty productive week. I have all the hard stuff squared away (Cell phone, Bank Account, Apartment, & NIE) and now I can concentrate on my teaching next week!

I'm really excited to get into the classroom and start teaching.  I can't wait to share with all of you the fun and exciting things about my school!

Until next time.


 Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment